The Dr. S.W. Hill Drugstore was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. This historic structure is significant to the community of Regent not only because of its original design and furnishings but also because of the remarkable happenings that took place within its walls.
Dr. S.W. Hill came to Regent from West Virginia in 1911. He was born in West Virginia in 1884 and graduated from the University of Maryland in 1909. For the next two years, he practiced medicine in the coal mine regions of West Virginia until he moved to Regent at the urgings of his brother, Sherman Hill. Upon his arrival in Regent in 1911, Dr. Hill opened a medical practice on the second floor of the drugstore. He worked on the second floor while renting the first floor to a druggist. He also lived on the second floor from 1911 to 1918 until he married Mrs. Hill. Dr. Hill worked in the community for over fifty years making house calls in his Buick Touring car. He delivered approximately three thousand babies during his time in Hettinger County.
Dr. Hill’s service was renowned across the region and as a result Regent established Doctor Hill Day on June 20, 1957. Dr. Hill retired in 1965 at the age of eighty and would pass away five years later on May 30, 1970 at the age of eighty-six. His wife preceded him in death, passing away on March 28, 1970.
Dr. Hill donated the drugstore to the Hettinger County Historical Society in 1968. Thanks to the generosity of local farmers, many of the large items were bought at the public auction in 1968 and donated to the HCHSM. Many of the medical items Dr. Hill owned and used remain in the museum today. Perhaps one of the most interesting pieces in the museum is the marble ice cream fountain located in the front of the drugstore on the first floor. The marble fountain is only one of four complete sets found in the world today.
With its original design and many of its original furnishings, the Dr. S.W. Hill Drugstore gives its visitors a complete picture of early 20th century medical practice on the Great Plains.